We have a forthcoming studio holders exhibition at the Hub in Mirfield, and I volunteered to design the poster for it. Design isn't one of my best abilities, and I'm a bit limited in my abilities with Photoshop, but I thought I'd just give it a go. Loosely, the idea was to display a sample of each artist's work on a TV set, as if in a store, as an alternative to standard TV fodder, and with studio director Mark Milnes controlling the output in a semi sinister manner with a remote. This does NOT reflect reality, but it was meant to be ambivalent and to perhaps create thoughts. We are swamped with imagery, and it's a bit of a struggle to be seen in artistic terms. Much of the imagery is excellent, and you have to shine to be seen.
These are the contributers to the exhibition (Creative Arts Hub in Mirfield Mid November to Mid January with a bit of a gap for Xmas):
John Paul Richards
Juko Designs (also attached here, as I've photographed a piece of theirs)
Andrew Stone/Black Orchard
My design was rejected as being not easy to read, which is fair comment, and at least it gives me chance to include Marina Poppa whom I criminally left out...
I started by visiting PC World at Birstall and aroused a bit of suspicion as I photographed television sets.
Then I got Mark to pose with him in front of me. I drew round his outline with the Magnetic Lasso Tool, and painted him black. The TVs I stacked three or four images and then crudely overlapped them by cutting out sections with the Polygon Lasso Tool:
Replacing the TV images was fairly straight forward, if a little time consuming. I dragged the image over the TV, adjusted it to fit using edit / transform / skew and then I made the art image appear semi-transparent using the opacity slider in the layer. The TV screen outline was then visible, and so it was just a case of selecting it as close as possible (Zoom in) using the Polygonal Lasso Tool. Then select inverse / cut gets rid of the extraneous stuff, restore the opacity to 100% and repeat repeat repeat ....
The text I considered secondary to the image, and so I wanted it to be readable but not intrusive. This arguably was the wrong call, and so I'm revising it later this evening. Meanwhile .. here is my original version: